5 Tips to Fuel Your Workout With Nutrition As you know, exercise places many demands on your body. Giving your body the fuel it needs can enhance your workout and your health. Here are some simple tips that can help you maximize your workout with proper nutrition.
- Avoid drinking your calories. Drink water instead. Sugary drinks and artificial sweeteners are unhealthy. Water is a better option to keep you healthy, hydrated and energized. For ways to add flavor naturally, consider slices of lemon, orange or cucumber.
- Enhance your performance with a light meal before working out. Exercising on an empty stomach can prevent you from being able to work out as long or as hard. Fueling up with complex carbohydrates will give your body an endurance boost and increase your performance. Whole grain cereals and breads are good options for fueling up prior to a workout.
- Continue to replenish your body after your workout. A post workout nutrition shake or smoothie can help with muscle recovery and repair. Smoothies and shakes made with fresh fruits and/or veggies and proteins such as whey, nuts and/or almond milk can give your body the proper nutrients it needs to recover from your workout and keep you going throughout the day.
- Boost you daily nutritional intake with superfoods. Add nutrient-dense foods — superfoods — to your daily diet. Superfoods are rich in antioxidants, minerals and nutrients. They provide valuable health benefits and can help prevent disease. Spinach, chia seeds, eggs, avocados, blueberries, acai berries, almonds and beans are a few examples of superfoods.
- Eat more whole foods and less processed foods. You may be surprised by what is in some of your favorite processed and packaged foods. Processed and packaged foods often have lower nutritional value along with unhealthy ingredients and/or additives. Whole foods are foods that remain in their natural form such as fresh fruits and vegetables. Whole foods offer superior nutrition and contain no unhealthy additives making them a healthier choice.
With proper fuel, your body will be energized and perform better. You will feel healthier too. Be sure to visit our Facebook page and share your own tips on how you fuel your workouts with nutrition!
Our Fearless Leader, Jackie Haggar-Tuschen has received the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge!
She’ll get dowsed with a bucket of ice water tomorrow, Thursday, August 21 at 6:30am right after Mat Pilates class at front door of Avera McKennan Fitness Center. AND – she’ll be making her challenge through her clattering teeth. Come witness the challenge and find out who’s next. We’ll have a bucket to collect donations for the ALS Association’s fund drive too.
Thursday, (TOMORROW) August 21, 6:30am, just outside the AMFC front entry – be there!
About the challenge…
Ice Bucket Challenge Still Going Strong: $31.5 Million in Donations to The ALS Association
Washington, D.C. (August 20, 2014) — As of Wednesday, August 20, The ALS Association has received $31.5 million in donations compared to $1.9 million during the same time period last year (July 29 to August 20). These donations have come from existing donors and 637,527 new donors to The Association.
The ALS Association’s mission includes providing care services to assist people with ALS and their families through a network of chapters working in communities across the nation and a global research program focused on the discovery of treatments and eventually a cure for the disease. In addition, The Association’s public policy efforts empower people to advance public policies in our nation’s Capital that respond to the needs of people with ALS.
For more information, please contact Carrie Munk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About The ALS Association
The ALS Association is the only national non-profit organization fighting Lou Gehrig’s Disease on every front. By leading the way in global research, providing assistance for people with ALS through a nationwide network of chapters, coordinating multidisciplinary care through Certified Treatment Centers of Excellence, and fostering government partnerships, The Association builds hope and enhances quality of life while aggressively searching for new treatments and a cure. For more information about The ALS Association, visit our website at www.alsa.org.
August 19, 2014
August 18, 2014
August 17, 2014
August 16, 2014
August 15, 2014
All AMFC staff are completing annual safety training aquatics, facility safety including emergency codes, first aid and CPR throughout the month of August.
(about the photo: yah, I know, it’s a stretch – maybe Devo’s “Safety Dance” doesn’t translate – but now that it’s come up, it’s all I can think of…)
Ignite your inner warrior and have a blast of fun too. Feel the power of music and action as you punch, kick and block your way to strength, endurance and balance in this new kickboxing experience.
Everyone from beginner to advanced will walk away from this class feeling empowered and motivated.
No sign-up necessary. Karri Stearns leads Cardio Kickboxing on Friday mornings at 8:45am in the Aerobic Studio beginning Friday, August 8th.
Avera Outpatient Physical Therapy at the Avera McKennan Fitness Center has expanded hours, services and staff available so that all of your physical therapy needs can be met at this location, including and not limited to:
- Womens Health
Also, it’s now easier to manage the cost of physical therapy care with the recent change to a clinic copay model. In most cases, an appointment with a physical therapist only requires only a clinic copay. In the past, such charges instead were applied to your deductible. Health insurance plans vary, so it’s important to check with your provider regarding your specific plan and coverage.
Stop in or call 322-5080 to schedule an appointment.