It’s time to get ready for races! AMFC members can enjoy free 5K training leading up first, to the April 1 Joker Run and then train for the Avera Race Against Breast Cancer.
This is a FREE, honor-system training plan which includes:
- C25K – an excellent 30 minute cardio workouts for 3 days per week and resource info to support your efforts.
- AMFC Fitness Specialists will help you with strength workouts to enhance your running plan.
- Social Media Support: You can use hashtags to share and ride the group’s training momentum
- training tracking with incentives and prizes
Stop by Member Services today for the info sheet which details all the elements of the fun, easy, rewarding training plan for all fitness levels. Beginning Monday, March 2, you can start logging your mileage.
Singing Bowls Sound Therapy sessions are now available by appointment with Glenda Baker and Deb Yoder.
Harmonic sound therapy has been used for centuries – and now through Western clinical research has been found to lessen stress and inflammation, ease pain from chronic conditions or injuries, to activate the body’s natural ability to re-balance and heal itself.
You can schedule an appointment for a singing bowls session by stopping by the Member Services Desk or by calling 322-5300. This service is offered by individual session only, not by package.
Thanks to all the 2015 Snowman Challenge participants for letting our spectacular Fitness Specialists and Personal Trainers help you set and meet healthy new goals. Later this week, our Fitness Manager, Brooks Little will post the results and prize winners. In the mean time, if you’re hearing about the Snowman Challenge for the first time with this post, here’s what it’s all about…
- 2 mini-fitness assessments (pre and post)Weekly weigh-ins and measurements with the help of our Fitness Specialists
- A packet of fitness and nutrition information and tools to support your efforts
- 3 hours or 6 half hours of Personal Training
- Specific classes of high intensity for short amounts of time (Quick 15′s)
- Weekly weigh-ins and support from the Fitness Specialists
- Training Coach
- Final fitness evaluation at the end of the challenge
- Great Prizes for winners in each division and overall
Keep in touch – results will be out soon! Thanks and congrats to all members who took part in this new program.
Nominated by her daughter, AMFC member Jennifer Soule
At 91, my mother, Leone Kayl, may be the oldest active member at Avera McKennan Fitness Center; she was a charter member even before the center was built. Yet age does not definer her – health and wellness do!
My mother has long been my fitness hero and I have often heard that she is an inspiration to many others. I am the oldest of six. An early memory of mine is of Mom, pregnant, and still insisting on a daily walk with me trailing behind. Walking was what you did, even if you’d been working on your feet all day. She quite naturally modeled wholeness of body, mind and spirit for us before such practices were popular in mainstream culture.
Mom has fun with fitness, meeting her friends in Senior Circuit and celebrating birthdays after class. She embodies joyful, healthy living through her devotion to exercise and willingness to change with the decades, accommodating physical changes. She believes in moderation; she’s the master of “two bites”, and avoids processed foods, eating across all food groups with nary a fruit or vegetable that she doesn’t like.
Maintaining an active mind is vital to Mom. She’s passed her love of reading and learning on to her children and continues to inspire us through her love of her book club, Ollie classes and willingness to learn new technologies – just to name a few. She loves and embraces new experiences – meeting new people, travel, and trying new recipes, colors, wines or flowers in her garden.
Leone knows how to downshift and relax with friends and family. Her willingness to listen and be there for others is a rare gift. Her soul is fed by a faith which is big enough and loving enough for her to be receptive to other’s beliefs too. She cherishes her decades-long church home of Augustana Lutheran and her mother’s devotional book begins Leone’s day.
A well-rounded, healthy woman for all seasons, Mom continues to enjoy life and inspire people of all ages to live the good life she relishes every day at the Fitness Center, in her neighborhood, reading a book, attending a church, or feeding her family – the secret ingredient in all her endeavors is love of all.
What better gifts could could you give than Health and Fitness?!
Avera McKennan Fitness Center offers special packages to delight and inspire:
- Membership: Get a jump-start on New Year’s savings, health and fitness. Join now and we’ll waive the enrollment fee. That’s a savings of at least $60 and your comprehensive Kick Start Personalized Assessment and Exercise Plan is FREE.
- Personal Training: Purchase 8 half hours or 4 hours of one-to-one personal training for only $150; up to 2 packages can be purchased at this terrific rate.
- Therapeutic Massage: Purchase 2 one hour or 3 half hour sessions for $110 for yourself or someone you love.
Stop by Member Services for details and to purchase gift cards, membership and swim instruction, personal training, therapeutic massage and nutrition counseling.