Dixie Westebur was already a member when she walked into Avera McKennan Fitness Center as the doors opened for business on that very first day over 15 years ago. She knows the power of health and fitness and her commitment is long-running. When the Center first opened, Dixie had already made several attempts to lose weight. When she joined AMFC she made exercising here part of her weekly routine. But despite the dedication to working out, she needed to address her approach to diet and nutrition. So she joined Weight Watchers about 12 years ago. The new accountability with regard to food, sticking with the program and remaining committed to her exercise routine led to a loss over time of 70lbs. And she kept it off.
About a year ago, Dixie decided she could stand to, and wanted to, lose more weight. She started personal training sessions with Mark Shane working primarily on the Pilates Reformers for about 4 or 5 months. She also started running, taking it slow. Soon things began to change. She began to trim down and firm up and in not too long a time period, she’d lost another 25lbs. She laughs as she talks about having to buy new, smaller-sized clothes and her husband Marlin’s encouraging words, “Hey, you’ve earned it – go for it!”
Dixie’s been motivated over the years to take care of her health and fitness after seeing so many overweight patients with multiple health problems. There is a history of heart problems in her family and Marlin is diabetic. She and Marlin work together to maintain a healthy exercise and nutrition routine. They have 5 grandchildren who she wants to be able to keep up with.
She does strength training 3 times per week and cardio everyday – up to a couple of hours per day with about 7 miles on the treadmill. Now Dixie can’t stand to go without exercising for long and she depends on the energetic boost she gets from her workouts. When traveling, she always books a hotel with an exercise center.
Dixie has worked at Avera Hospital for 41 years, first as an RN and now she handles outpatient procedure scheduling. She and Marlin like to travel and usually go on a cruise each year. Two of the grandchildren are in Colorado, so there are plenty of trips there too. She wishes that everyone who wants to improve their over-all health, energy level, strength, enjoyment of life and stamina would go ahead and take one step at a time, with support, to make real changes because it’s so gratifying to be able look in the mirror and say “Hey, reward yourself, you’ve earned it!”
Thanks you everyone for your support of the 25th Annual Avera Race Against Breast Cancer. Over 6,800 walkers, 10K runners and 5K runners participated on a chilly but sunny Saturday morning and scores of volunteers helped cheer them on and provide support in countless ways. Over $400,000 were raised by you all which directly benefits cancer patients, survivors and their families in the Sioux Falls area who are moving through the cancer journey together. Sincerely, thank you.
Experience the Healing Power of Massage
During the month of May, purchase a package of 3 half-hour massages or 2 one-hour massages for only $110. What a wonderful gift – for a loved one, or just for yourself! Buy as many of these special massage packages as you like until May 31.
Benefits of Massage:
Increases energy levels
Enhanses sleep quality
Decreases depression and anxiety
Relaxes injured, overused muscles
Alleviates low back pain
Reduces spasms and cramping
Improves range of motion
Increases joint flexibility
Relieves migraine pain
- Play! program will run from May 1 to June 30
- Must be a member to participate
- Starting May 1st each member who wishes to participate will receive a PLAY card at the Member Services Desk w/1 stamp already on it for their first visit of the program.
- Each participant will sign his/her name on a sign-up sheet at the Member Services Desk to use as a tracking tool on the 1st day his/her card is given out. We wish to get their tshirt size to estimate the tshirt order.
- Each participant will be need to show their card to Member Services at each visit. We will have a file at the member services desk that the member can leave their card and pull it themselves each time. Self ServeJ
- The Member Services staff will give each participant a stamp on the card for each visit (only 1 visit per day)
- After the participant’s 15th visit he or she will receive a 1 week guest pass (must be 18 yrs to use the guest pass)
- After the participant’s 30th visit he/she will receive a gift card for a PLAY t-shirt (t-shirts will be awarded July 1)
- After the participant’s 45th visit he/she will put their stamped card in a box at the front desk for 3 drawings: 1 FITNESS MAKEOVER which includes a 3-month membership, 1 hr massage, 1 hr personal training session. 2nd prize–a set of women’s golf clubs. 3rd prize–a set of men’s golf clubs provided by Austads.
- These 3 drawings will be on July 1
- Stamped cards must be turned in by June 30 to be eligible for the drawings
Join us this Saturday, 9:15AM April 27 for a 2.62 silent run along with Sioux Falls area runners who participated in the Boston Marathon. We’ll run in memory of those who perished in the bomb attack and their families; we’ll run in thanksgiving for the safe return of our local competitors.
This is a noncompetitive event. Meet at the Fitness Center; the route will follow the bike trail. No sign up required.